We focus on offering values to the readers so that they can move forward to a financial stability. In this process we shake hands with different companies to bring the best to you guys. Following that, we may get a commission if you make any purchase using our referral links.
If you are reading this post then it means you want to be a successful blogger. I am going to help you on your journey from an amateur blogger to a successful and professional blogger. However, before we start, just want to thank you for joining our mailing list.
I have created this 11 points blogging guide just for you guys. Each of the topics is in a very simple language. So let us just jump to the guide.
Note – This post is user-supported. I have used some affiliate links in this post. If you make any purchase from my affiliate links, I will get a commission and you will not have to pay anything extra at all. Making few bucks from such links motivates me to share more and more information with you guys.
1. A Relatable Domain Name and Site Name
A Domain name defines the niche. That means your site name should go hand in hand with your domain name and with your blogs’ niche. For example, a website named “Techispider.com” indicates that there will be tech-related stuff on the site. A reader should be able to relate the site with the post he is reading.
The site name is often updated in the site header so if the name of the site does not go with the domain name, your readers might be confused and for sure they will find it hard to remember while looking for you on the internet.
The best practice would be if you can get a domain name similar to your site name. If you are using “your name” as a domain for your website, (johnwick.com for example), and your blogs are somewhat different, then be ready to lose the readers. A reader does not want to be confused. Take this point.
2. Fast and Reliable Web Hosting Service
Have you ever waited even 10 seconds for a website to load? Yes, you might have but that is a very “turn off” thing for the audience. Use this experience and choose your hosting service provider wisely.
Here are things you should consider while choosing the hosting partner –
- SSD Space Capacity (go for unlimited SSD Space option)
- Maximum uptime (99.99%)
- Premium Customer Support (24X7 preferably)
- Minimum Site Loading Time (2-3 seconds max)
- Automated Data Backup Facility
- Compatible with the Latest versions of WordPress
- SSL Certificates (better if you can get them free)
These are very basic but important requirements to look for in a hosting service provider. You may find a lot of players in the market. Do not go for the cheap pricing as it may downgrade the speed of your website.
SSL certificate is another very essential requirement as it tells the browsers that a website is safe to visit.
I use Hostinger where I get 99.99% uptime with a great site loading speed. You can just visit their website and check it for yourself. In addition, the point here is, you will get a free domain for the first year.
3. Niche & Micro Niche
In simple words, a Niche is a particular interest. For example, you can blog about coding, Gym, technology, solo travel ideas, etc. These are Niche and each of these serves a different and particular area of interest. Micro Niche, on the other hand, focuses more on a product or service.
For example, for a tech blogger, technology is a niche, but if he specifically focuses on either on mobile phones, cameras, TV, laptops, etc, then each of these categories would fall under micro-niche.
Choosing the Right NICHE is Important. Because you are looking forward to becoming a professional blogger, then choosing a niche that actually gets you paid would be a milestone.
Top 10 Niches of 2021
- Health & Fitness Blogging
- Food Blogging
- Travel Blogging
- Fashion Blogging
- Gaming Blogs
- Personal Finance Management
- Inter-Personal Growth
- Pet Care
- Educational Blogging
As per the well-known bloggers, these are the most profitable blogging Niches of 2021. However, that does not mean you cannot make money from any other niche. Just take care of one thing. The products or services you want to offer with your blogging should offer true value to the readers. If you hit that wall, you can make money from any niche.
4. Content & Post Design
Ok, why do you search on the internet? The answer will be, to find the solutions. That is what exactly you will have to do with your blogs. You have to give people solutions for their queries.
For every search, we make on the internet, and every link we visit against those search results, we generally take few seconds to decide if the content is helpful or not. Here the question is, how a user decides if the content is helpful or not. How a blog can retain a reader for a longer time? Luckily, I have the answer to those points.
- Opening Question – Start your blog with a question or a statement that indicates the next step so that it makes people curious and they read it further to get the answer to the question. An instant user engagement.
- A Surprising Fact – Such facts raise the excitement in a reader. Try it.
Language – Use as simple language as possible. In the era of the internet, people from any corner of the world may visit the site. Simple is better. Let people understand the content without much effort. This will create a bond with the audience and your reader will not feel lost.
Images – Secondly, use images in your blogs. This is highly recommended. Place images after each heading you make. If you can use infographics, that will be an added advantage. Images attract readers. Often people try to gain some information from the images, as reading may not be their preference. For such readers, images will force them to stay for a longer period.
Paragraph – Do not make the paragraphs too long. The idle length of a paragraph contains three to four lines max. The sentence should be of considerable length. Try to avoid bigger sentences do not write in passive voice. Sentences in passive voice should be less than 30% overall blog length. Use bullet points. Bullet points can tell more with fewer words.
Heading – No fancy words at all. Just make it relevant. Like we say, simple is better. Make sure you have not used the H1 tag more than one time. Use different heading tags like H2, H3, as per the relevance. Do not use H1 tags more than one time; it should be in the Title only.
Conclusion – The opening words of a blog should indicate what is in the post. Then the paragraphs in between the opening title and conclusion should focus on the solution. The last part is the conclusion. It is more like a closing statement that helps a reader to make up his mind for the next action.
I would like to give a piece of personal advice here. Please do validate the facts, figures, and information you are sharing in your post. The quality of the content should be plagiarism-free and original.
You just cannot copy some other blogger’s work and paste it on your website. Do some research and then publish. There is no match for the quality content. This is the ability to bring up your SERP rankings.
This is as important as the content for a blog. Just keep it simple. Try to avoid fancy animations and fonts. Seek help from the professional on this. Take care of the below points.
- Check the font size. It should be easily readable
- The sidebar should have relevant widgets only. Do not over-crowd the sidebar. This may distract the users.
- Work on the blog post header. It offers the first impression to the visitors.
- Simple and clean design that looks professional. That is the only requirement.
5. Keywords – Food for SEO
A keyword is a word or a set of words that you search on the internet. For example, if you search for “best web hosting services” on the internet, then this entire phrase “best web hosting services” will be the Keyword.
When we search the internet, Google or Bing (or whatever search engine you use) check its database for pages carrying those results. Top matches reflect on the first page. This is also known as search engine page results (SERP). This is where you need to get yourself.
If you can get your blog post to the first page of a search term, then you are the winner because these search results can drive massive traffic to a website or a web page. No one goes on 2nd page to check the results.
Types of Keywords
Primary Keywords– Primary keywords are that you search directly.
Related Keywords – Related Keywords are the closest terms of a primary keyword.
Being new in the market means, you cannot compete with your competitors based on primary keywords because they are already ranking on the top on Google. What do we do now? Here comes handy related keywords. We have to find the “closest keywords” for a primary search term and use that in our blog post. It is our chance to outshine the competitions.
Tools to Find the Right Keywords
There are many online tools available to search for the right keywords. Some of these are free to use and some are paid.
- Keyword Magic Tool (free version from SEMrush)
- Google Search Console
- Ashref Keywords Explorer
- Keywords Everywhere
- Google Keyword Planner
- Bing Webmaster Tool
Before getting into blogging, learn the basics of keywords and their importance. This is going to be your companion throughout your journey.
Where to Put Keywords for Better Results?
- In title with H1 Tag
- Meta description
- And in the body
6. Backlinks – To Increase Domain Authority and Better SEO
Backlinks are like food for Google crawlers. They work as an anchor. The more backlinks you have from other sites (sites with higher domain authority though), the higher your site will rank in Google Index. There are many ways to get backlinks. Google just trusts backlinks.
You know many other bloggers are doing really well in your niche already. Well, this is not a point of concern. In fact, you can now grow with your competition. Reach out to your competitions and ask to offer backlinks and ask the same in return.
Here are a few steps to get backlinks to your website.
- Directory Submission – Directory submission is updating your site information with other websites that carry business information with their web addresses. It is more like a telephone directory. Thousands of websites offer free directory submission services. Check their domain authority first and then submit.
- Guest Posts – Offer writing guest posts for other bloggers in your niche. They might offer you a bio on their website with a backlink to your site. Normally people will agree to a guest post. Do not forget to ask if they would like to write a post for your website too as they would also need backlinks to increase their domain authority.
- Write Amazing Content – Well, this is something you will learn with a lot of practice. You may have a great hold on language and your niche but writing professional blogs will take time. I am also learning it every day. So do your homework and write great, original, and quality content only. This will attract other bloggers to ask for backlinks.
- Reach Out Other Bloggers – Find different sites in your niche and reach them to give a backlink to your site. Most people are likely to turn this request down but even if you could get it from a few of them then there is no harm. That will be useful for your website.
- Internal Linking – Internal site links play a very crucial role in ranking a site. Internal links help Google crawlers to navigate the pages easily and Google will understand that these links are important for the site.
7. Comment Sections – Engage Your Audience
A lot of readers like to share their thoughts after reading a post on the internet. Let them do that. Keep the comment section open for users and do not forget to respond to each of them ( as many as you can). This will build trust between the readers and the writer. If you offer great value to your readers, there will be comments to mention “thanks”.
Benefits to Have the Comment Section
- It allows users to engage with the content. More user engagement, higher your website will rank on Google
- When you revert to the comments, your audience will feel more connected with you. It is a psychological effect. When you appreciate the inputs from your readers, they will be coming back for sure for your next post. So technically, this will help you to increase your audience.
- People might ask more from you. Maybe a post on another or a related topic, or something they find not clear to them. So you better give them a solution to get them back to your site.
Point to Note
On one hand, comments are a great way to increase user engagement and google ranking, but on the other hand, they can do some damage as well. You are going to get a lot of spam comments as well. People would paste links to unwanted websites in comments. Google does not like that. Such practice often leads to downgraded websites that google rejects.
Luckily we have a solution to handle this situation. As you know there are plugins for everything on WordPress, to block spam comments please use “AKISMET – ANTI SPAM PLUGIN”. Basic services are free to use. With the initial setup, this plugin will block all spam comments. You can see all the blocked comments in the dashboard section.
8. Mailing Lists
I am sure you must be aware of popup forms or opt-in forms. Such forms are used to generate a user database. We visit a page, we like the content; we submit our email id to get more of such posts. This is how it works. You need to generate your mailing list. This mailing list is going to be your savior and your first few bucks might come from this list only.
Why do you need a mailing list?
- To share new content with the users so that your site keeps getting free traffic
- For promotional information like offers or discounts on product or services
- Inviting the audience to visit your website and click on those AFFILIATE links and you get a commission for that.
- Sending reminders to make the purchase left in the cart
- Above all, to establish a relationship with all those people who liked your content and want to hear more from you.
How to Create a Mailing List
- Usually, the Opt-in forms do the job.
- Post great content on your site so that a reader feels a value addition and submit his email id.
- Offer free eBooks, or a solution guide, or something a user finds useful. It works like trading.
- Run Ads
What is Not Recommended?
Never buy an email database. Never. You can find millions of email ids just for few bucks. But is only going to take you down. This practice is not recommended at all. Never fall for shortcuts.
9. Harness the Power of Social Media
For a common user, platforms like Facebook, Quora, Pinterest, Twitter, Instagram, etc are just the social media sites where people post photos, videos, and text. But for a blogger, these platforms are a hub for free traffic. Yes, you can get crazy numbers being directed to your website from each social media platform.
But how do we do that? This is not that easy but it is not that difficult as well.
These steps would help you to grow on social sites and get free traffic to your website.
Choose a Platform – There are many social platforms and being a newcomer, you will not be able to handle all of them together. So you better start with one. I recommend Quora and Pinterest for bloggers. You can go ahead with either as per your choice.
Just understand how these platforms work. How other businesses share their content that routs the traffic to their websites.
Post Regularly – To keep up with the competition, you need to post regularly. This is as important as posting on your site. If you cut off even for few days, you might lose some followers. Consistency is a must when you are planning to gain higher results on social media.
Engage with the Audience – Once people notice you, they will start reacting to your social posts. These reactions will be good and bad both. Be professional while dealing with unwelcomed reactions. Respond to the comments and messages. You will also need to develop some analytical skills here to understand how people are reacting to certain posts.
Social media offers great value to businesses, bloggers, and influences. You just have to learn and adapt to the requirement. This is going to take some time.
10. Create a Responsive Blog
A responsive bog can be easily read on desktops, tablets, and even on a smartphone. Pages are edited for all 3 mentioned screen sizes. Your site will adapt to the display automatically.
The majority of the crowd use a smartphone and most likely you are going to get more traffic from mobile devices only. Smartphones will lead here in comparison with Tablets. On WordPress, you can edit your site, pages, and posts to fit on Desktop, tablets, and mobile phones. This is something you cannot miss at all.
Being a smartphone owner, when I visit certain pages, and if it not mobile responsive, I would move to the next result without wasting even a single second. It increases the bounce rate for a blog. That is why a responsive site is the necessity of the time. You can take help from experts if you want but go for a great responsive design.
11. Monetizing Strategy.
This is the reason you are reading this post. Though I am mentioning it in the last, it is something that needs consideration at the beginning itself. Before you enter into blogging, you need to look for the answer about how to make money from a blog.
- You may have a digital product, an e-course that you want to sell
- Promote affiliate products and services
- Earn from display advertising
- You want to go ahead with Google AdSense.
- Offer paid reviews
When you have your monetizing strategy clear in mind, you can go ahead with the blogging part. Use affiliate links, promote your own digital products, or anything. But just keep in mind, anything you promote, has to be related to your niche only. When you talk about a laptop you just cannot share an affiliate link for a smartphone. This will confuse your readers.
Just stick to the niche.
Blogging needs time, practice, and consistency. Only then, you will get the results. Learn before you write. You can write great content but you will have no idea how to give it a professional touch. How and where to promote this? Who will be your target audience? How to identify and use keywords? SEO – on-page and off-page, and many other things I mentioned in this article.
Please explore each corner where you have doubts. A blogger will be open to learning as there will be new trends. Once Google update and all your hard work is gone. It might not rank next time. So read Google’s newsletters. Follow your favorite bloggers who are already there on top. Understand their strategy.
There is a lot to learn. I just gave you the basics of everything you need. If you believe anything is missing, let me know in the comments. I will keep on updating this post.